Everyone has Talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark place where it leads. Erica Jong

06 May 2009

Well, quitting cigarettes wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.
In fact, I got the idea that the cigarette industry may have been adding to the fear of quitting with their steady flow of "we'll try to help you through it" campaigns.
(Hmmmm....perhaps I should have wondered why tey would care to 'help me through it' in the first place....)

None the less, my greatest allie has been myself in the endeavor. By writing down everyday why I wanted to stop smoking reinforced my desire to do just that. Like saying I WANT to win the lottery actually helps me buy a ticket.
Sort of....

And what would I put for reasons? Well, simple truths helped. I really was pretty fed up with waking up coughing and, to alieve the cough, lighting a cigarette.
Too many ashtrays in the house always gave a smoked smell to things, and what a mess, too.
Other truths were a bit more on the subjective side.
Flies were smarter than me. Even though they ate shit, they didn't smoke cigarettes.
That sort of stuff.

4 comments:

darkfoam said...

the posts i find when i rummage around your many blogs .. :)

i never seem to find my way back to see if you answer though ..

n'ways ... quitting smoking is always a good decision. good for you!
i quit 25 or 26 years ago because i would get hangovers when i drank and smoked cigs on the weekend and if i didn't smoke i didn't get hangovers. i choose not to get hangovers. i figured that's as good a reason to quite as any other. ...

boneman said...

Well, it's good you don't always get back, as there are so danged many of them, I lose track of them, sometimes.

Congrats on the quitting....I actually use this blog as a practice for poosting at humor times. I try to make my ranting funnier (?) and less crumudgeony....
Smoking was what I thought to be the hardest plateau to date, but realize I have two even harder peaks yet to attain.
Sugar free pop is the only pop I drink.
The Old Man was a diabetic and I was raised on diet pop (sacharin! GASP!) and diet candy.
Now everytime I get a diet pop i have to put up with clown critics telling me how I'm poisoning myself.

And, probably the hardest peak....

SUGAR!

oh
my
GOD!No! No! Don't take my sugar away from me!
I'll die for sure!
I'll curl up on the floor and die right off!

(no I won't)

and, as we leave the silly boneman laying on the floor, kicking and screaming......
we laugh.
Because, it isn't an essential to life at all, is it?

darkfoam said...

yes it is ...

boneman said...

OK, then. I won't quit.

0000000000000000000000000000000
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
0000000000000000000000000000000
Not really looking for comments on this post. Just exploring different things with the color, eh? Hope you don't mind....

My Blog List